Manual Lymphatic Drainage Certification Program
Instructor: René Janiece, LMT, NCTMB, CLT
at the Massage Therapy Institute in Davis
For information or to register for this class contact MTI
This 6-day Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) certification course is based on the techniques developed by Dr. Emil Vodder, Ph.D. When skillfully applied, this therapeutic form of soft tissue mobilization dramatically enhances lymph formation and promotes drainage within the superficial and deep systems of the lymph vascular network.
During this course, students will be instructed in anatomy and physiology of the lymphatic system. Basic MLD treatment sequences as well as MLD treatment sequences for mild, medically uncomplicated upper and lower extremity lymphedema will be demonstrated and practiced. Each day will be divided into two sections, one theoretical and the second, hands-on application. Topics covered in this class are relevant anatomy and scientific technology to the lymphatic system.
Learning Outcomes for this 45 hour course include:
Prerequisite: 100 hrs of massage training.
- differentiating between the normal and diseased states of the lymphatic system (physiology and pathophysiology of the lymphatic system);
- understanding the indications and contraindications related to the use of MLD;
- being able to perform the techniques of MLD for all body areas;
- developing appropriate treatment strategies for indications such as post-surgical edema, post-traumatic edema, fibromyalgia, general detoxification and other conditions;
- performing MLD on clients after breast surgery for cancer (clients at risk to develop lymphedema);
- and competently performing MLD on clients with mild, medically uncomplicated primary or secondary lymphedema. Please note: this course will not prepare the participant for the Complete Decongestive Therapy treatment of lymphedema.
René Janiece, LMT, NCTMB, CLT
René Janiece brings 20 years of experience in the field of massage and bodywork to her classroom instruction. She is a graduate of The Scherer Institute of Natural Healing in Santa Fe, New Mexico and has an extensive background in both comfort-oriented and therapeutic modalities.
In her private and clinically based practices she has focused her work on specific-injury massage and palliative care. Since 2002, she has specialized in oncology massage, having studied with two leading instructors: Gayle MacDonald, MS, LMT and Sandy Canzone, DOM. Through Klose Training & Consulting, she received her initial Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) Certification in 2003 and her Lymphedema Therapy Certification in 2005.
In addition to its use as a component of Complete Decongestive Therapy, René successfully integrated the multi-faceted applications for MLD in her busy clinical practice in Santa Fe, NM. Here, MLD was utilized to treat post-surgical and post-traumatic injury patients, as well as individuals presenting with symptoms from fibromyalgia, fibro-cystic breast disease, CRPS, and various other diagnoses.
Community outreach and education has been an important priority throughout René's career. She has been a presenter at massage schools, cancer centers, and outreach events focusing on cancer, AIDS, caregiver support and hospice care. Many of these events involved the coordination and supervision of other bodywork therapists in group treatment settings. Since 1997, she has provided instruction in both one-on-one and classroom formats. René has been an assistant instructor for Klose Training’s MLD and Lymphedema Therapy Courses since 2004, and has recently become an MLD Instructor on the Klose Training faculty.
She is on staff at Longmont United Hospital and their Health Center for Integrated Therapies, in Longmont, Colorado, where she works as an Oncology Massage Specialist and a member of their Lymphedema Therapy team.
Professional organizations Include:
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork
- Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (Certified Member)
- International Association for Hospice & Palliative Care
- National Lymphedema Network
Back to Isabel's Classes